The Guide - September 27, 2023

T he G u ide • 9- 27- 23 Courtesy of the Delaware Public Archives Cannon’s Ferry at Woodland, April 12, 1938. A ferry over the Nanticoke River at Woodland has been in operation since at least 1793. Originally owned by the Cannon family, it became the property of Sussex County in the mid-1800s and was eventually transferred to the State Highway Department. For most of its existence the ferry crossed the river by a hand-powered cable, although motor-propelled boats were used after 1930. The department periodically considered replacing the ferry with a bridge but always decided to continue the ferry. 24/7 Toll free Confidential 200+ languages